It Is Time for Annual Predictions! No, not for the Oscars (although my money was on Rami Malek for his portrayal of Freddy Mercury in “Bohemian Rhapsody” and I nailed it!). Nah – this is “Prediction Time for FSOs” – also known as the Personnel Security Investigations submission that will launch March 11 – April 5, 2019.
What great FSO’s read!
It’s time to look into the future, and this issue is equivalent to 1.21 jiggawatts. (I spelled it that way on purpose.)
It Is Time for Annual Predictions!No, not for the Oscars (although my money was on Rami Malek for his portrayal of Freddy Mercury in “Bohemian Rhapsody” and I nailed it!). Nah – this is “Prediction Time for FSOs” – also known as the Personnel Security Investigations submission that will launch March 11 – April 5, 2019. If you are new to the FSO world, this is an annual requirement where the FSO projects how many new Investigations, Periodic Re- investigations, and now Continuous Evaluations, they will need over the next three fiscal years.
- Collect whatever data you need to upload the projection survey in NISS beginning 13 March 2019!
- Get your NISS Login done if that is still pending!
- Run a PR report to determine who is due for a periodic reinvestigation. If it is 90 days out or less, start the re-investigation.
- Check visit requests or VARS to see if they are going to expire or have out-processed people on them. (A lot end 31 March for some reason!)
- Look at the expiration dates on your classified contracts (DD254) and coordinate with your Contracts Administrator to see if they are being ex- tended or ending soon for de-briefings if necessary.
- Encourage your team to avoid green beer by showing the video and anything that could lead to a citation for public disorderly conduct! C’mon Eileen!
- Administer any scheduled annual training: Annual Refresher, Insider Threat, Self-Inspections.
Prediction #1 – This will be a challenge this year for those who are not in NISS yet.Unlike years gone by, these projections are to be submitted through the NISS instead of eFCL this year. This has us nervous. NISS is still a challenge for a lot of FSOs and now we will all be trying to use it during the same month! What could go wrong? We have reached out to DSS and literally begged them to re-open eFCL for this but no can do! We will all have to use NISS so if you have not obtained your login – do not delay that any longer. “Registration instructions are found on the NISS web- site under the Registration section (https:// www.dss.mil/is/niss/). Additional instructions and information regarding the PSI data collection will be forthcoming prior to deployment.“ ~ DSS Voice Of Industry Newsletter Also in March, we have no federal holidays, it is rainy, a lot of us are finalizing our taxes and it is a long month so … good times, no? Our recommendation is to get it done early so you can focus on March Madness and singing “C’mon Eileen” at St. Patrick’s day festivities!
Why do I have to do this, again?
Sometimes I’d rather not know.
What If I Get It Wrong??Don’t panic. There is no “wrong”. I mean, unless you have a crystal ball that really works (statistically unlikely), you are not expected to truly predict the future. Some companies may get huge awards later this year (cork pop!) which could render all their projections wrong, so FSOs are not held accountable for the accuracy of the answers. However, you do want to try and get it as close as possible. This is tax-payer money we are talking about – don’t go crazy.
I am the best at circling things.
How do we do this?Step 1: Make sure you can log into NISS
- To get going on your NISS account, you will FIRST need to register your PKI token with the DSS Portal: https://ncaiss.dss.mil/dss-cac- login/cert/login
- The next step is to go back to the portal while logged into your token and click the “I accept” and then the CAC login to get in.
- Once you are in – you will select “Create/Modify Requests” and register your company and yourself – select Security Staff then Facility Security Officer then submit (it usually requires you to submit more than once).
- NOTE: We highly recommend that you call/email your DSS Rep letting him or her know you are submitting your request for a NISS account so they will grant the privilege and it won’t “time out”. They have been doing that a lot.
Just gotta figure out phase 2…
In Case of Too Much Green Beer!True story: We have had to do more “incident reports” for disorderly conduct around St. Pat’s than any other holiday. FSO PRO has added new training videos to our “Shop”. “FSO Training Video: Alcohol” and “FSO Training Video: Criminal Activities” These videos (Created by MarketingFlix!) offer training to FSOs, Managers, Leaders and cleared personnel for properly reporting and mitigating the negative impact for clearances should something adverse occur in these areas. Share them with your team on Friday, March 15th as an extra “security best practice” before the popular holiday festivities!
* Coffee Mugs!
* Membership Clubs!
* Training Videos!
* One Hour FSO Support!
* SVA Prep!
FSO PRO thanks all the FSOs out there for everything you do to keep the warfighter safe. Even the smallest task is designed to keep our nation’s information out of the hands of those who would do harm. We, as FSOs, are doing our part to stay vigilant and determined to protect those who protect us, even in our own small way.
That is why we say how awesome you are. And thank you.