What great FSO’s read!
I am sure we all remember singing “Oh, Niss-mas Tree” as a child.
Have Yourself a Merry Little NISS-MAS!We’ve given thanks, now its back to the world of less turkey, more time working with new systems! As promised last month, here is a rundown of what we learned as we moved forward with NISS!
- Get all our resources from FSO PRO for the new systems!
- Register with NCAISS/ DSS Portal.
- Register or Login with DISS.
- Email or call your DSS Rep if you need help!
- Make sure you have done a “Self-Inspection” before the end of the year.
- Make sure you have no missing personnel training acknowledgements for the end of the year.
- Work with FSO PRO for a “Report Card” to show your boss before Holiday Bonus time!
- Wish for Peace on Earth!
GETTING INTO NISSThe system has issues, but we were expecting that – it is new. Be prepared to be patient. VERY patient.
2) Fill in NISS User Access – choose “Security Staff” for your set up
3) Enter CAGE (always required)
4) Select role (always required)
5) Delete any you don’t need
6) Click Confirm
7) Click Confirm
8) Click OK and it will tell you if it was successfully submitted
9) You will receive an approval notification (or rejection) from NISS
I am amazing at drawing circles freehand. Control your jealousy.
“Hey – how long does it take to get NISS Approval?”Well, sometimes it is immediate – within two hours. Other times … well, we are still waiting on approvals we submitted in October. It all depends on your DSS Representative and how good your relationship is with them. (See last month’s newsletter for the importance of a relationship with your Rep!)
This is how our inspections go. The hand holding was awkward at first.
Alexander Graham Bell circa 1877, actual photo. Few know that his second call was to his DSS rep. And therefore he was the first person to be placed on hold.
- DSS Resource: Here are answers to dozens of Frequently Asked Questions.
- STEPP Training: Here is an online class to become a semi-expert and impress your boss just before Holiday bonus time!
- From another FSO: A real-life “walk-through” for making a changed condition (address, company name, KMP List) in NISS. It is a power point – ask this guy for it!
- Trouble Shooting: Many users have been getting a weird “double bar” that won’t let them into the system. DSS has provided a guide to fix that. Again,
- Ask our favorite Santa Helper – this guy – for it!
These stockings do not fit these puppies at all. Nice going, Karen.
- From DSS: DISS Instructions – provides a sample PSSAR application!
- From STEPP: “Tips and Tricks for using DISS.
- From FSO PRO – Our own “walk-through” for getting into DISS
Mnemonic device: “D” comes before “N”, which comes before “S”, which comes after “I”, which is in “Six Trillion”, which comes after 3. And D = “Don’t call me NISS”, and N = “Not DISS so please stop being confused about it.”
Dear Santa…Remember when you were a kid and you would make a “Wish List”? Just for fun, here are things FSOs wish for this year.
Dear Santa…1. Knowledge of exact timelines for all clearances so we have an answer when managers ask “ how long will it take for his/her clearance?”
2. No accidental “inadvertent access to classified” – ever!
3. No lost badges.
4. Less than five minutes on hold with PSMO or DMDC Call Centers.
5. Knowledge of when our DSS Rep will be at their desk so we can call right then.
6. Clear instructions for access when we receive a new award with a new agency.
7. That JPAS would always generate the 14 digit PIN for eQIP!
8. Shorter timelines for Interim Clearances.
9. Returned emails from the NISS support email address.
10. An annotation in JPAS when someone has been moved into “Continuous Evaluation” so we don’t keep re-starting Periodic Reinvestigations for new hires …
11. Timely self-reporting from cleared personnel.
12. No JPAS or eQIP shutdowns – ever!
13. Information is correct in DEERs for former military personnel.
14. And … of course … Peace on Earth!
And to all, a powerful Christmas and a ripped New Year.
* Coffee Mugs!
* Membership Clubs!
* Training Videos!
* One Hour FSO Support!
* SVA Prep!
FSO PRO thanks all the FSOs out there for everything you do to keep the warfighter safe. Even the smallest task is designed to keep our nation’s information out of the hands of those who would do harm. We, as FSOs, are doing our part to stay vigilant and determined to protect those who protect us, even in our own small way.
That is why we say how awesome you are. And thank you.